You always here people say that children grow up fast. I had no idea. I feel like she gets bigger and develops a new skill in the 8 hours I'm gone Monday thru Friday. Today I came home and she looked like a real baby. Even a few months ago, I went to a friends' baby shower and there was a 6 month old baby there. She was sitting, eating toys, and awake for a 2 hour stretch. Baby girl turns 5 months this weekend and is not too far from that.
We switched her to her big girl, seated stroller. On Saturday, I put her in her bassinet for a walk and she was doing a mini baby an crunch, straining to sit up. While she was far off, I could tell what she wanted. Once sitting up and looking wrong, she was content.
Today in the bath, she did the same thing and wanted to sit instead of swim. She was splashing the water with her hand and actually grabbing her turtle squirter. When she turtle would float away, she would whine and splash more. She's never before reacted to not having her toy. This was only a taste of what's to come, I'm sure. She's sitting better, becoming much more aware, and being more decisive about what she wants.
While I'm glad she's following a normal developmental timeline, I find myself a little sad of the days and weeks that have already passed. She will never be a newborn again. She will never need me to help her latch on. She won't be milk-drunk the same way. She won't wake up for middle of the night feedings. She won't be content just laying together. She doesn't fall asleep on my shoulder anymore. All these are things I already miss. I just hope I remember these wonderful days down the road, and I don't wake up from sleep deprivation to find those memories dimmer.
No comments:
Post a Comment